Posted on: 1 August 2017
Your garage doors have served you well, but eventually all good things must end. As you get a new set of doors for your garage, the question remains: what should you do with the old ones? Well, you could take the boring option and either junk them or give them away, but where is the fun in that? Here are a few exciting and creative ideas that will let you re use those doors.
Use Your Old Garage Doors to Create New Items of Furniture
Firstly, the long, paneled design of garage doors makes them excellent candidates for repurposing into furniture.
- Tables: One or two panels of the garage door can transform into an excellent new table. All it would take is a coat of paint, maybe a panel of glass, and four legs.
- Changing screens: Three to four panels of a garage door, rotated ninety degrees and given a bit of a makeover, can make a fantastic decorative screen behind which you or guests can change clothes.
- Headboards: Several panels of the doors can make an exciting transition into becoming a headboard for your bed.
- Benches: You could quite easily repurpose the long panels into a bench by adding some supports and a few cushions.
Transform Your Old Garage Doors into Art
The long and often paneled appearance of garage doors can turn them into excellent candidates for use in art.
- Paint: The most practical application would be a canvas for an excited and innovative artist, after stripping off the paint it used to have of course.
- Sculpture: A more abstract artist may find some daring way to incorporate either wooden or steel garage doors into a sculpture or other work of three-dimensional art.
- Music: Innovative musicians have made instruments out of much stranger things than old garage doors.
Make Your Old Garage Doors Useful Around the Yard
Many people have also used their garage doors to improve the shape and function of their yard.
- Raised Garden Beds: By inserting the garage doors into the yard long end up, you can create a box in which to place soil for growing herbs, flowers, or fruits and vegetables.
- Garden Pathways: If you already have an established garden, then you may also simply lay the garage doors down on top of pathways through your garden, so as to have a clean walking space.
Create a Kid Play Space from Your Old Garage Doors
Other innovators have repurposed their doors to be fun for their children.
- Room Dividers: Fun repainting of a garage door panel can create a low to the ground room divider that separates a princess kingdom or tea party from a pirate ship or space adventure.
- Drawing Tables: By making a short table, kids can have all the space they need for coloring books and crayons.
- Long Chalkboards: By using chalkboard paint, a panel from the garage door can be transformed into a huge chalk drawing space for kids.
Make Your Old Garage Doors Useful with Chalkboard Paint
Not only can chalkboard paint make a garage door exciting for kids, but you can also use it to make your life around the house easier as well.
- Reminder Boards: You can hang the long panel of a garage door horizontally or vertically to give you plenty of space on which to write reminders or encouraging messages.
- Calendar of the Week: By dividing the long panel with chalk into a Sunday through Saturday calendar, you can have a great interactive space with which to plan your week.
- Directional Signs: If you are hosting an event, you can use a chalkboard painted garage door as a lawn sign to point people in the right direction.
The repurposing possibilities of garage doors are really only limited to your own ingenuity. Think outside the box, and find the perfect new use for your old garage door.Share